Friday, January 28, 2005

Mash note to Todd McFarlane

Following up on the last bit on new McFarlane figs...I interviewed Todd McFarlane several times for a magazine I used to edit. He's a throwback. The toy industry used to be run by people who loved toys. Now it's run by guys who'd just as soon head up Coca-Cola or RJ Reynolds or a staple factory. Joyless, wooden men who have the imagination of a paper clip.

I realize this term has been bandied about in mass culture (and thus rendered as meaningful as my toe-nail clippings) , but McFarlane is old-school. He loves toys. He made figures he knew wouldn't sell 50,000 units. He made them because they looked cool. Because he loved the work of his designers and sculptors.

Okay, I've composed myself. Jeebus, sometimes I get carried away. Relax, just relax. I'm just saying I like the guy's work is all. I'm not gonna kiss him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home